Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dark and Twisty

I recently wrote a paper for my english 102 class that had to critique a short story. I chose a story that dealt with a depressed mother/wife and the effects that her condition had on her husband and son. I compared it to Walt Disney's fairy tales such as: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty and so on, kindof like an inverted fairy tale. It turned out really well and got an A+ on it but at the same time it really made me think. Yeah fairy tales are good and all when youre a kid but honestly my hopes were set waaaaay high when it came to finding "Prince Charming".

It is truley a sad day when those unrealistic expectations are shot to crap when you find that "Prince Charming" really is "once upon a dream" or in no dream at all. Although this is quite a depressing matter, the truth is I think that maybe Prince Charming would get on my nerves!! For instence, if this handsome prince tried to help me up onto his mighty stallion I think I would say, "Honey, do my legs look broken?? Get the crap off of me and let me do it myself!" I guess being raised by an independent mother has slightly nudged me into an independent state myself. Oh well, I'm thinking maybe that will be good in the long run...right?

So here's my Haiku for fairy tales:

Grimm Brothers were smart
Furry creatures don't talk
Disney was on something

6 comments:

Pat said...

You are so good with those haikus! I'm going to start practicing.

And Honey, if you don't end up with a Prince Charming, there's no hope for the rest of us!

Love ya.

Katharine said...

This haiku was so amazing. I had to think about it for a couple minutes before I got all the meaning(s). Some times Princes make a person agree with the "If we can put a man on the moon, how come we can't put them all there?"

Trust me, though, every Prince Charming or Uncharming crosses your path for a reason. Your task is to figure out why.

Love from your AK

Pat said...

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious, Kath! That's one I'll remember.

Jessie said...

You may not find the prince. And he only needs to be slightly charming since you have all the charm! I think you are amazing, kiddo!

Sonnjea said...

Great, now I have another blog I have to keep up with! I love your haikus - you must have inherited a creative gene or two from your limerick-gifted mom.

And don't worry, blogs aren't about spelling or grammar or writing skills; they are just about expressing yourself, which you do very well.

I don't need your horse
to take me to the castle
My legs work just fine

Kelly said...

Love the comments guys!! Thanks for believeing in my haikus and my bad "grammer" :)